11/20/11

Banana Cranberry Muffins with Flax


Continuing my adventure of new healthy food substitutes, I discovered coconut flour. I read a handful of blogs on how to bake with it and when to use it. Coconut flour is not considered a starch or a grain, helpful when making gluten free goods, or if you are watching those items in your diet any ways. I caved in and finally bought some- that little bag was $10! Good thing whole wheat flour was on sale in the bulk aisle for .69 lb so that I could mix the two. In this recipe I used an organic banana, and fresh cranberries. Also in my discovery for sugar substitutes ( Sweet'n'Low is my BFF) I bought Agave Nectar- light of course. In place of sugar, that is what I used, plus the bananas add its own sweetness, so the muffins came out really good, not overly sweet, but Naturally sweet ;).

Banana Cranberry Muffins with Flax

1/4 C Coconut flour
1/4 C Whole wheat flour
2 TB melted butter
1 Small banana mashed, or half a large one
3 TB Light agave nectar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 C fresh cranberries
1 tsp Ground flaxseeds
1/2 tsp baking powder
3 Large eggs

There was no science into mixing this, i just dumped it all in and mixed until combined. Scoop into a greased mini muffin tin and bake at 355 for 9-10 minutes, until a knife comes out clean when you poke it in the middle. The recipe produced about 16-18 muffins

I made an impromptu cream cheese frosting with vanilla, orange zest and sweetener, which just added a nice little sweet touch to the muffins.

I calculated the nutritional info as best I could and came out with this:
1 serving= 3 muffins without cream cheese frosting
Calories 191, 9g fat, 6g protein, 4g fiber

Wes really liked them, and in my book- if they are husband approved - they are worth making.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

MamaMags said...

Dang girl, it is times like this that I miss you EVEN MORE as a neighbor, cause we both know I would have been a recipient of those yummy muffins, if you had not abandoned me and moved north to find true love and happiness. Some people are SOOO selfish! (hope you are laughing out loud at this!)