12/4/14

Thanks and Giving

I hope everyone had a fun Thanksgiving! I was excited to see all the people's pictures of their families, turkeys, desserts, and people sleeping in front of the tube haha. I had so much to give thanks for this year..SO MUCH. I think it is pretty obvious but I will go ahead and say it out loud, cause I can, and this is my blog.


Of course my thanks goes to my health, my home and my family. the gift of my Charlotte, and this amazing transition from work to stay at home to work at home mom. and...im thankful for cinnamon rolls.

Wes has been an absolute pillar and foundation in our household. I can't believe how much his priorities have changed and his willingness to step up to all the responsibilities and challenges being a husband and dad have brought on him. Remember, when i met this guy- he was going to the karaoke bar with his best buds three times a week....yeah and SINGING even..like lots of singing. Now his singing consists of an audience of 2 ladies in the living room, with a mug of hot chocolate instead of a pint of beer.

So with everything that has happened this year, its easy to see that,  i've also changed my priorities. It's true, as they say, you don't know until you have children, what the changes are and that leap of courage it takes to be a parent. Until you have that child, and think of the miracle he or she is, you just have not felt that overwhelming love.

So this year, our Christmas Giving Open House is especially important to me. I think of all these kids battling with all their might to just have a healthy life...not normal...Healthy. and the families that are going through all of these challenges and trying to be a beacon of strength for their little ones. I can't even imagine.

You know, I know i've been over the top with  my invites about this, I know it probably sounds like a broken record or cliche at times. I just don't understand, though, how some people can shun such an important part of being alive, which is giving back. i don't care if its not for Primary's, but just in general. I am disgusted seeing all these commercials on TV for the new toys or electronics to coax peoples brains as to what is important. It really is retarded. im using that word...retarded. its retarded cause all these things are stupid now. I used to think money would buy happiness, would raise my status quo, would keep me in the crowd...this when i was working, when i had that extra income. Now that we are a one income family, its been a hidden blessing and a true gift. its been a complete eye opener that I DO have everything I need. Although I have started this Etsy business, its all so I can have something to do, to keep my brain sharp, and hopefully supplement a little income so I can give Charlotte a great education.

I think of my life now as to what it was 10 years ago...and wow! talk about a complete change. maybe cause im older, a mom now, and i just don't give a crap about certain things. I really think its because i've become whole..my husband and my daughter and my entire family have become my center. That is why the cause to donate to Primary's is so important..I want all families to have this feeling of Wholeness, even if its for a moment as they are busy building memories over a puzzle or a painting project, that's what you can do for them, help them build a memory as a whole family. Kids are our future and before they even have begun to live, they are fighting conditions we have only read about and can't even imagine their battles.  And it so pitiful that some people give it the side eye and head to Target for the next sale.

I have most certainly been guilty of shunning charity- sometimes because i felt like i need too. but this past year, my needs have been met, and my needs, in the scheme of things, are not so important. I've learned that the more i give, even if im going without, brings me more happiness and joy into my home than a new TV or a new pair of jeans.

I hope everyone gets a chance to give to those that need it. Its not a lot of work, nor does it take a lot of time. just think about it and do it. that's it.

**exit off the soapbox**

and Now.. Thanksgiving this year at the Miller's, complete with hand traced turkeys!

It was just us this year. I have never done a full on thanksgiving spread and I wanted some practice so i could host for the big family gathering next year.

I prepped all week long and then it all came together so nice the day of. it was actually a relaxing day.

 This was my best batch of cinnamon rolls ever!

my table scape consisted of me cutting and gathering things from my backyard 

 We snacked on cream cheese jalapeno jelly dip and spiced apple cider while the turkey was cooking
 Speaking of turkey..tada! this turkey got the treatment i tell ya! I brined it in apple cider, salt, brown sugar, peppercorns, garlic and herbs. I brined it for 8 hours then drained it and let it sit in the fridge to dry out. In the morning i buttered the whole thing with an herb butter i made, and the last 40 minutes of cooking, I carefully laid some thick cut bacon on the top. I mean...whatever you think it tasted like, it was better. Juicy, tender, flavorful and tan!
 Yeah, we had a lot of leftovers, to say the least!
She wasn't sure at first about the mashed potatoes, but then she got into it, and i think she decided she like it.



I was trying to get a cute photo of these color block leggings, but I couldn't help capture that face...THAT face..she just melts my heart.

No comments: